Based upon the discussion on the Justification page, I have developed 12 criteria for the selection of digital tools. No one tool satisfies all of these criteria.
Digital tools should:
- have a low entry threshold.
- save time and money.
- promote an environment of openness.
- promote accuracy and minimize error.
- handle data that is relational and spatial.
- result in data that is easily shared.
- be appropriate for field use (at least the collection component).
- promote and enhance preservation.
- increase participation in the archaeological process.
- should be interoperable.
- well supported.
- “Nimble, agile, flexible”- Ethan Watrall, 8/15/2016